Thursday 15 June 2017

Green Valley 3: The Farmhouse

Rain stops now
Floods depart
A few rays of sunshine
Reach us here on the edgelands
Down stream some bright spark,
Waiting for the Severn’s tide to ebb
Blew a hole in the river wall
With a pocketful of dynamite
And watched the water flow away.
A proper job from a Gloucester boy
Now the clean up begins
Walking fields which last week were lakes
Wind tossed with waves into Biscay fury,
The former frantic novelty
Fights hard to remain in memory,
As we walk in what was green
But is now brown
We fill our coats and bags
With storm blown apples
To feed the patient horses
Kept safe in wooded peaks
Hobbled and blanketed
But safe to a colt.
How are the others doing ?
In the midst of radio noise
Statements from the House
Seedy parliamentarians
Being conspicuously visible
In making political capital
Out of this human misery
I realise I care
And walk upstream
To check up on my imaginations.
Half way up the bank a voice
Deep, yet laughing
“Wet enough for you, boy ?”
Oilskins, laced gaiters,
Big hat and bright eyes
Never seen before
But not a stranger
Oh not at all.
Holes blown in walls and worlds
My imagination shrivels
In amazement as
Earnest Shackleton himself
Beckons me across the brook
And Grabs my hand as I nearly slip
Coming up the bank onto his side
Onto the other side
“Hows things, then ?”
I slyly understate
“Musn’t grumble I suppose
but all turned out well again
considering”
he beams
“come on, its supper time,
she’s waiting.”
That farmhouse on the map
That I thought I never see again
Has opened up its doors
And beckons.
A warm light shines
From the oak framed hole of a door
And the mistress of the house
Composed and 12 years old
Curtseys and laughs.
“herself’s been baking,
so best not keep her waiting”
So what value is faery bread
How will it nourish, will I lose my heart
And stay in this farmhouse
For a hundred years ?
This is no dangerous undertow
This is pure rapture
And I hurry forward
into certain adventure.
Farmhouse table, laid with willow pattern
And Sheffield steel,
Wooden bowls with hot loaves
Hand patted butter
And the smell of stew
or was it soup?
Old wood all around
Functional and beautiful
Grandfather clock
With curious settings.
Oil lamps give uncertain light
But dark corners hold no threat,
Ardent stands, grins wolfishly
Handshake firm and welcoming,
Why am I here ?
The pattern is still spreading.
And my curiousity is aroused
Here at the farmhouse between the worlds
Where my imagination,
Is not merely concretised
But fleshed out
With more sense of what they are about
Than I, dealer in mere words and possibilities,
Any hole in my creations
Is not apparent
And I keep noticing unplanned details
The food is real and comforting,
Warm and, unlike my organic efforts,
Beats the omnipresent damp hands down.
My toes are warmed
And all relax.
Small beer is offered,
Perry ,later, with cheese.
I have to speak, and facing all,
Replete but not cowed
Say simply “Why ?”
And Miss Apparition Shackleton herself
Answers,
In the manner she choses for things of importance

We have a gap between the worlds
And need a weaver such as you,
Someone to whom myths are pearls
To keep a record straight and true.
Is this task one you could take
And tell our tales pure and direct
Where worlds collide and pattern make
And distant lives do intersect ?.
We seem to all live at a point
Where some things may be out of joint
Can sense be made of what we see
On the edge of both realities ?
Thus spake the maiden ,and all were hushed
Can you help us, think first, no rush ?

Accepting incredulity
As normal currency
As I surprise myself
I produce my notebook
And a fountain pen
And, with no hesitation accept.
Thoughts of my own kitchen
Distant now.
If this was temptation

I wanted in.

No comments:

Post a Comment