Thursday 26 September 2013

f i r s t * s i g h t (wolf part eight and half)


Warming up mind and fingers
For another expedition
Into the dark woods
In search of Wolf
Makes lists of necessaries:
Chocolate, notebook and pens
(Pens plural, there’s always one that gets away
and leaves one’s inspiration as a fading memory,
there’s always one that gets away)
Map and compass
Fresh tea flasked
And most of all
Some clear time
I Started with a gentle stroll
Across some known ground:
The day so far,
Turning scrutiny in on itself
To recollect what I might have missed
Passing through at some speed.

No clear time today
All is fogged and cloaked,
A drab blanket wraps us all,
Not a spur for adventure,
But an enticement
To good books
Good coffee ( a recurring theme)
And chestnutted teacake roasting fires,
While low clouds hide the tops,
Stinchcombe hill, Uley Bury,
They vanish into their own wood’s mystery,
And all becomes possible again.
Will Hetty Pegler’s Tump
Spew forth her shades today ?
As ancient history,
Seeing the coast is clear of mortal walkers
Stretches old bones
And has a gentle moan and rattle.
Those of us who love the place
Feel a shiver of disgrace
As knowing what we missed today
We stay inside, forget to play.

I feel a witchwind was the cause,
must have blown all night
Then stopped, leaving us wrapped
In our own mysteries,
Closer to us now
Than in days of sunlight and clear skies

This is a day for ghost stories at noon
For visiting old curiousity shops
For sitting, owl still, in one’s loft
And bidding welcome to misty travellers
Who were blown here
Perhaps a century ago
And have need of conversation,
And the warmth from living bones.

Old brick and timbered farmhouse ?
Beyond Dave Bick’s chicken farm,
Up the lane ?
Not all can see it I’ve been told
But now I see it from the road
and yellow candlelight spills from windows
Even in today’s mid day
Especially on this misty day:
Earnest, in the parlour,
Writes seriously of polar bears and skull dimensions.

 
Ardent skulks and contemplates a verse
Or perhaps a lady he once knew,
Irritating the new help
By his lack of  improper attention.
I was told, she said, I was told he would
But he doesn’t, preoccupied
Alacrity, dutch cloaked against the fog
And sabotted against the ubiquitous mud,
Scurries up the slope behind the farm
On some mission,
Only known to herself
Hidden even from me,
Involving eggs and butter
And also perhaps a letter
To be posted out of sheer goodwill
And youthful brio
Addressed to
The Queen,
The Frozen wastes
Far far away
From Alacrity Shackleton, Miss, aged 9

Tell me about the trees and bears
Tell me about about the ice
Tell me of the your palace feasts
What is bad and what is nice

Tell me of your caribou,
Tell me all O please please do,
Tell me about the seals and whales
And what’s a fluke and what’s a tail

Tell me what its like to rule
And tell me all your good and bad
What icy fishes swim in your pools
And tell me why my brother’s sad ?

Dark woods approached
And an imagining achieves
Written proof of her existence..
I mark the farmhouse on the map  for future reference,
And , caught up again
In self referential reverie,
Bump into, at lane’s end
and nearly send flying
The hurrying  and scurrying
Alacrity Shackleton.
Picks her up ,apologises
And hearing her tale,
Solemnly agree
To post her letter in town.
Thus contracted by a child’s innocence,
She disappears back into her foggy keep
And I, bemused,
Hold in my hand
A concrete letter
From a dream’s bit player.

You now have read it too.
Unconscionable voyeurs ,we
To spy on a child’s curiousity

Mist still here
And the leaves fall

Thoughts wind back, and let me say
This is how Albion is today

No comments:

Post a Comment